Lalitpur, The City of Beauty
Patan is separated form Kathmandu by the Bagmati
River and is the second largest town in the valley. It is also known as
Lalitpur, which means city of beauty. Patan has a long Buddhist history
and have stupas at four corners. Like Kathmandu Durbar Square, Patan Durbar
Square is also packed with temples. Most of these temples are built during
the Malla kings period.
As in Kathmandu, Patan also has an old royal palace built
during the Malla kings period. Most of the temples here are built in Newari
architecture. The rectangular square has an axis from north, south, east
and west to the Royal Palace. Malla kings who used to rule over Patan in
the ancient times used to love art and architecture. To fulfill their wishes,
many buildings having excellent arts such as wood carving, stone carving
etc. were made. These buildings, which were created by skilled Nepali architects
have stood firmly for centuries defying all the barriers of nature.
| Bhimsen Temple
|| Temple dedicated to the god of trade and business
| Manga Hiti
|| Wonderfully carved stone crocodile headed waterspouts
| Vishwanath Temple
|| Temple built in 1627 has two large stone elephant guarding
| Krishna Mandir
|| Well renowned stone temple of Lord Krishna
| Jagannarayan Temple
|| Temple is dedicated to one of Vishnus incarnations
| Hari Shankar Temple
|| The half Vishnu half Shiva deity
| Bhai Dega Temple
|| Temple dedicated to Shiva
The Royal Palace is located in the heart of Patan, Mangal
Bazaar. Parts of the Royal Palace was built in the 14th Century and main
construction was done during 17th & 18th Century by Malla kings.
Mul Chwok & Taleju Temple
This is one of the largest courtyard among the three main chowks. Bidya
Temple stands at the centre of the courtyard and three Taleju temples stand
around the courtyard.
Sundari Chowk & Tusha Hiti
South of the Mul Chowk is the Sundari Chowk with its sunken tank known as
Tusha Hiti Mul Chwok & Taleju Temple. This is one of the largest courtyard
among the three main chowks. Bidya Temple stands at the centre of the courtyard
and three Taleju temples stand around the courtyard.
Mani Keshar Chowk
This is the northern courtyard to be entered through golden gate. The golden
gate is gilded with Shiva, Parvati, Ganesh and Kumar. This is the newest
part of the palace. Above the golden door is a golden window from there
king would make public appearances.
This temple is known as Kwa Bahal among Newari people and Hiranya Verna
Mahavihar among the others. This unique Buddhist monastery is well known
as Golden Temple. This monastery was found in the 12th century and recorded
its existence in 1409. The simple entrance gives no hint of the magnificent
structure in the courtyard within.